Friday, June 28, 2013

Michigan Author Spotlight With J.L. Hickey

Our Michigan Author Spotlight series is nearing a close here at the end of the week with J.L. Hickey.
J.L. It's great to have you here. Why don't we start this whole thing off by having you introduce yourself.
 
I began writing short stories back in first grade, terrible stick figures included. Writing has always been a part of my life. In high school I spent many days in my room writing for different websites for fun. After a few years of changing my major in college, I finally decided to follow my heart and graduate from Saginaw Valley State University with a Bachelor’s in creative writing. During my college years I managed to get a short published in Delta’s literary magazine Fuzion. Beyond that, I never wrote for publication. It was all for fun, and I never really thought I would ever make money from it. Fast forward to now, two novels self published and a novella as well. My newest YA novel, Secret Seekers Society is receiving rave reviews all over the world.
 
And are these books available in print? In eBook?
My first novel the Deity Chronicles is available in print. As for the rest of my works, I find it at this stage in my career that the digital format is the most profitable and affordable for myself and my fans.
 
What genre do you write in?
My novels are YA fantasy/paranormal. Outside of my published works, I do dabble in literary fiction.

And are you originally from Michigan or just residing here now?

Born and raised in the mitten!
Me too :)
We know you are a Michigan Author but do you consider yourself a “Michigan Author”? Do your stories take place in Michigan generally?
Some do, some don’t. I often make references to Michigan, and unless you’re Pure MI, you may or may not pick up on them.
 
Tell us a bit about your latest work.

Since Secret Seekers Society’s release on 12/31/12, it is averaging a 4.6 out of a five star review system on goodreads as well as a solid five star review from amazon.com.
 
I was also able to raise over 1200$ for funding the books editing, formatting, and book cover through a successful kickstarter campaign. Gaining pledges from over three countries based off a first chapter sample. 
 
Secret Seekers Society and the Beast of Bladenboro follows the young protagonists Hunter Glenn, and Elly Ann through an adventure ripe with adversity, paranormal monsters, secret societies, and most haunting of all, a life without their parents.
 
The book follows both, the sibling’s emotional struggle from their parent’s sudden loss, as well as their physical journey into a new and strange “home”, an ancient and creepy mansion known only as the Belmonte Estate.
 
It is here where they first learn of their new guardian, an eccentric old man named Professor Clandestine and the rest of the mansion's caretakers. Tossed into their bedroom, and locked away under the pretense of “safety concerns” it does not take long for the children to hatch an escape plan.
 
Follow the children as they slowly unravel the secrets of their parent’s true identities, the origin of the strange Mansion, and their inheritance into an ancient secret society of monster hunters known as Seekers.
 
for more info on my book:
 Sounds great! I actually can't wait to get my hands on these.

Now back to our state - What is your favorite thing about Michigan? Summer nights up north in Petosky, Mi. Talk about a writer’s haven! There is something about northern Michigan that really gets my creative juices flowing. Staying up late by the lake with my lap top and a beer is what life is all about. Yeah that does sound pretty good.
Okay now some just for fun questions …

Salt Water Taffy or Mackinaw Island Fudge:  Fudge, duh. The Island or the city: City Trolls VS. Yoopers – your vote: Trolls for life! Your favorite Michigan Season: Fall Michigan or Michigan State: State, only because I am a huge fan of Jason Richardson. Football or Hockey: Hockey
Your favorite Michigan City: PetoskyYour favorite Michigan Lake: Crooked Lake. Your favorite Michigan Hideaway: Posniewaing, Mi Paradise or Hell: Paradise, who choses hell?Haha - you'd be surprised ;) What’s your favorite Michigan Highway: US 10??? Your favorite book that showcases Michigan: Michigan Ghost Stories, or something to that extent. That book gave me nightmares when I was a kid! The grass man!
And finally what’s next for you?
With the huge success of Secret Seekers Society and the Beast of Bladenboro, I am hard at work on book two of the series. With that being said, I am trying to balance time between writing, promoting, querying for agents, and all that falls in-between. Also, as I near closer to the finished version of the second book, I am slowing putting together a new Kickstarter campaign in order to fund everything that comes with the debut. Secret Seekers Society and Solomon’s Seal is set for a December 19th 2013 release date!
How can we keep up with you? Give us your social media stats ;)
 www.facebook.com/josephlaurencehickey
 @jlhickey81www.secretseekerssociety.com
 www.booksie.com/jlhickey

Thanks so much for stopping by today J.L. Hickey and as always leave a comment or question and one of us will respond to it.

Oh! And for those of you who don't already know The Secret Seekers Society will be free to download tomorrow and Sunday! So I for one will certainly be taking advantage of that.
Thanks again J.L. Great to have you!

No comments:

Post a Comment