Monday, December 31, 2012

Auld Lang Syne




Watching this video of the this past year in review has me thinking of all that I've gone through and accomplished in a year.
365 days, 52 weeks, 12 months
1/81st slice (on average) of my lifetime.
Such a small amount of time has moved me such an incredible distance across the board.
I'm a healthier person thanks to 2012

December 10, 2011


December 10, 2012
 
I'm a braver, kinder, stronger person in the last year. I took risks, I grabbed at chances, and jumped at opportunities.
I know that I have the potential to be whatever I want to be.
I know that I have the power to make things happen - me, just one person - just me.
I have gained confidence, experience, knowledge, energy and friendships and the understanding of how important the old ones are.
But 2012 wasn't all about gaining. I lost a lot too. 2012 was a no-holds-barred kind of year and with the highs going higher than I only ever dreamed possible the lows were much lower too. I lost a lot - and some losses were good (weight for one - and a lot of it) but mostly they were bad. We lost family this year, friends, and loved ones. The year was a full out tug of war between sheer joy and tragedy. Births, pregnancies, and proposals were abundant but only amongst the loss, despair, break-ups, and the deaths we all mourned.

It's amazing how much can change in so little time - how much one person can change - how big one life, one ripple in the pond can reach. I was blessed to be here, in this community, even in the midst of all the losses we felt personally -- to be here, where we reached out and separately united and shared in an epidemic of miracles. 


I've been blessed beyond measure.
I've been transformed.
I've been published.
I've been let down.
I've been lifted up.
I've been touched.
I've been scared.
I've been cared for.
I've been shattered and heartbroken.
I've been healed and humbled.
I've crossed so many bridges, and rubbed so many elbows.
We've been shaken this year, that is certain, but we've also been recovered, helped -- saved by the selfless acts of kindness toward each other.

I'd like to make a New Years resolution for an even better year ahead. I just want to keep moving forward and trying to be the best me I can be. A better daughter, friend, wife, lover, writer, reader, human... I want to be gentler, bolder, tougher, softer, and kinder in the New Year. I want to write better, jump higher, run farther, smile brighter and open my eyes wider to see even more.
I have been so blessed to have the year I've had with 2012. So blessed. I cannot even count all the ways but I want to be more, bigger, brighter, better. I know that 2013 has the capacity to be that, more -- so much more.


Leave a comment and tell me what your resolutions are for this next year and I'll leave you with this one last thought ... (and one of the most romantic movie clips of all time by an incredibly funny writer that, sadly, we lost this year ...) 

No comments:

Post a Comment